The vote to disaffiliate is Sunday, October 23 at 5 pm in the Sanctuary. Arrive by 4:30 pm for check-in which will be in the Narthex (changed from Connections Center). The District staff will check your membership and give you a ballot and then you can go into to the Sanctuary for the vote. Only members present can vote. For free childcare contact email@example.com
Our District Superintent will lead the first part of the meeting. Her team will distribute the ballots and count them. We do not have an advanced copy of the ballot.
While the Disaffiliation ballots are being counted we will have a time of worship. We will pass out our own ballot (contingent on the disaffiliation vote passing). We will collect our ballots, celebrate communion and dismiss everyone to the Connections Center to break the fast. We will have food and dessert. We will announce the results of both ballots as soon as they are ready and will send out an email with the results Sunday night.
The contents of the Anderson Hills Ballot are below, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions
ANDERSON HILLS CHURCH BALLOT
MOTION 1 - I affirm the following rationale as the basis for Anderson Hills' disaffiliation from the UMC:
- Our core beliefs (for example, that Jesus is God) have been denied by some Bishops and pastors without accountability.
- The UMC has declined in US worship attendance and membership every year since it began in 1968, but this decline has radically increased in the past 20 years to a dangerously unsustainable level; the General Conference and the Bishops have been unable to make meaningful changes to slow this rapid decline.
- Per paragraph 2553 of the 2019 UM Book of Disciple, the actions and inactions of our annual conference related to human sexuality has led to division in our conference and local churches.
- The system that sends pastors to churches has become more focused on the needs of the pastor than the needs of the church
- Our contributions over the past 200 years have paid for our church and its buildings, but the UMC owns that property. This is a holdover from the colonial era. If we were to leave the UMC, we will have more control over our property and hence our future.
- Our annual apportionments (currently ~$250,000 per year, paid to the UMC) are significant, and we have no voice in how they are spent. We believe we could make better decisions for how this money is spent to benefit our church, our community and the world.
MOTION 2 - ANDERSON HILLS CHURCH 2022 ARTICLES OF INCORPORATION RESOLUTION
RESOLVED, that the following amended Articles of Incorporation be and the
same are hereby adopted to supersede and take the place of the existing articles of
incorporation of this corporation including all prior amendments.
FIRST: The name of the corporation is Anderson Hills Church.
SECOND: The place in the State of Ohio where its principal office is located is in
the Township of Anderson, Hamilton County.
THIRD: Anderson Hills Church, an Ohio nonprofit corporation, is a church
organized exclusively for religious purposes under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal
Revenue Code, or corresponding section of any future federal tax code.
FOURTH: Upon dissolution of Anderson Hills Church, assets shall be distributed
for religious purposes within the meaning of section 501(c)(3) of the Internal
Revenue Code or the corresponding section of any future federal tax code.
_______ YES ________NO
MOTION 3 - I affirm the Denominational Discernment Team’s recommendation that Anderson Hills Church join The Foundry Network.
________YES _______ NO